Contact lenses are a type of lens that consists of thin lenses worn over the eye’s pupil. It helps them to see things clearly. Contact lenses can be of both plus power, which allows people see nearby things clearly or minus power, which helps people see faraway things distinctly. Most of the wearers of contact lenses, almost two-thirds, are women.
Most of them wear contact lenses for aesthetic reasons, make them look good, or change their eyes’ colour. However, some of them wear lenses for optical or medical reasons too, which allows them to have better vision.
There are Different Types of Contact Lenses. They are as follows:
- Soft Contact Lenses: They are made of flexible and soft plastic material. This characteristic feature allows air to pass through the lenses into the cornea.
- Rigid Glass Permeable (RGP) Contact Lenses: As the name suggests, Rigid Glass Permeable (RGP) Contact Lenses are very strong and durable. They last longer and are significantly easier to handle because of their immunity.
- Extended Wear Contact Lenses: Extended Wear Contact lenses can be worn for a long time, lasting from one day or up to 30 days. These are generally made of soft contact lenses. However, one must always take the consultation of a doctor before taking the necessary steps.
- Disposable (Replacement Schedule) Contact Lenses: Disposable Contact Lenses, also known as Replacement Schedule Contact Lenses, are those types of lenses that are worn for one day and then discarded. The next day, a new lens is worn. Their duration lasts for only one day, and they have a short expiry date.
There are pros and cons to wearing contact lenses. They are as follows:
- There is a wider view for the people who wear contact lenses.
- If people have asymmetrical power in their eyes, contact lenses are best for them.
- If people have very high power, contact lenses are better for them.
- If people play sports and have power, they should use contact lenses.
- Many times, while wearing spectacles during the winter, the lenses get foggy, and it’s challenging to see. However, if anyone resorts to contacting lenses, these weather-related problems can be avoided.
- They have great vocational uses.
- They can be used for cosmetic purposes and to change their look.
- They are also known to have therapeutic uses.
- It takes a lot of time and difficulty to adjust to the wearing of contact lenses.
- The people who wear contact lenses must have a lot of patience and skills while handling contact lenses.
- If lenses are not moisturized and disinfected regularly, then hygienic problems can arise.
- There is no tension of the time limit while wearing a spectacle. But in the case of contact lenses, people need to be very careful about the duration of their wearing.
- Since lenses are microscopic and fragile, they can very easily be broken or get lost.
- Sometimes, wearing lenses can cause eye irritation.
- One needs to be very careful about contact lenses as they deteriorate with time.
- Sometimes, the maintenance costs of contact lenses can be very high.
Keeping in mind the advantages and disadvantages of contact lenses, using them can be very stylish and can make a person very confident. In recent times, almost millions had been made by the sale of contact lenses. Especially women and men in the entertainment industry, who have high power and cannot wear spectacles keeping in mind their looks, contact lenses can be a good option for them.